BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Post UFC 100 thoughts (number 2)

Mark Coleman vs. Stephan Bonnar

Ok, I was entirely wrong. Coleman showed up in shape and demonstrated that he is still the same thing as when he won UFC 10: a huge, incredibly powerful man with world-class wrestling and very heavy hands. On top of that, he showed some improved bjj and control from the back. Bonnar's days in the UFC are numbered.

This may seem way to early to predict this, but if Coleman can keep this up for two more fights, I think he'll be given a title shot. Everybody said Rashad's only hope against Machida was his wrestling, but Rashad isn't really wrestling anymore. Coleman could be marketed as the guy who has what it takes to defeat Machida.

BTW, the next person to use the phrase "rubrix cube of pain" in regard to Machida deserves to die.

Jon Jones (wow!) vs. Jake O'Brien

O'Brien's boxing was much better than I expected. Jones (wow!) fought well, although not quite as good as against Bonnar. I'm not sure if I've ever seen somebody finish with that choke before. Quite impressive. I was also very impressed with the fake take down into spinning elbow. Sweet.

Dong Hyun Kim looked quite impressive. That dude is in great shape and his judo is certainly to be reckoned with. As much as wrestlers dominate in MMA, I wonder if more interest in MMA geared judo might not produce some incredible fighters over the next few years. Wrestlers take people down and end up in guard. Judo fighters take people down and land in half control, often with their weight on the other guy's chest.

We watched the new X-men movie yesterday night. It was a fun action flick. But it has got me thinking a bit about this idea that so many movies have that killing a horrible person makes you like them.

Example: Hero has a chance to kill main bad guy. Hero is the only person who can kill bad guy. Hero knows that bad guy is an avid serial killer, having made a habit of killing people for the heck of it for years. So hero looks at bad guy and says, "I'm not like you." and lets him go.

What? You've done something noble by allowing this guy go and kill again? This makes no sense at all.

I'm getting very excited about teaching this coming year. And incredibly nervous.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Your life has changed and is changing. I think you'll need to update the About Me section of your blog soon.

Chera said...

Don't be nervous! You've been teaching kids for how long? With all of your experience with Taiwan, Gymnastic City, church and VBS, not even mentioning your younger siblings, I am certain that you will do just fine. It's like you've been preparing for this job for years!

On a plus side, if you make a mistake on the job, you won't accidentally kill anyone... I wish I could say the same thing about my new job! lol

BonnieJean said...

Oh my, Chera, I hadn't thought of things in those terms before! I guess that can be one thought to encourage myself with whenever I feel nervous about this coming school year. =P Still, with going into full-time teaching now, we're moving up to the next level of intensity. Never before have we been completely responsible for so many students, five days a week, for an entire school year. It can be a little overwhelming to think about.

I completely agree with you on the hero-not-killing-murderous-bad-guy thing, Samuel! I can somewhat understand when they have someone who has been pursuing the bad guy's life out of bitterness and hate, rather than a desire to prevent the bad guy from killing anymore. But, despite all that, it's not much of a happy ending if the murderous and terrible bad guy is still at large.